From what I'm told? A blind guy made a complaint!!!!
Come on??? This could be the beginning of removing Flower Pots, Lamp Post or the Trees from the Downtown area.
If the City vote to remove the Sandwich Signs?
They would be nuts!!!!
But then again? This is the same Council who gave the OK to Acadian Bus Line to move from the Downtown area!
Click below for an interview I made this afternoon!!!
Charles,
Andre has left a new comment on your post "THE CITY OF FREDERICTON PLAN TO ELIMINATE SANDWICH...":
It never ceases to amaze me how intelligent individuals could even entertain such a piece of legislation. Lets even look at the probabilities that a blind person could walk into these signs, yes it is possible, that one who is blind could run one into these signs, but really how often has that really happen, chances are that they are more people with sight has run into these is signs, because of some other visual distraction.
Reality is you can not create a 0 risk environment, and with all of the other obstacles that exist on side walk, including people that could be a potential hazard for blind people, you might well redesign the cities side walks to include different lanes, one for blind people, one for human powered wheel chair, one motorized wheel chair and so on, and still with all of these provisions in place the risk of someone getting injured is still there.
I think for the most part most people with sight limitations have developed the skills to be able to navigate the streets of Fredericton without to much difficulty. (Within the context of the limitaton)
I know there is someone who is going to argue that I am totally insensitive to people with visual limitations on the one issue ... well I leave at that.
Last note, you can expect this fluff piece of legislation to pass, after all when Mayor Woodside first became mayor, his first order of business as a new mayor, was to make Fredericton Snake free, because of someone taking the python snake for a walk, and some wuss was terrified of the snake.
Personally I think that Woodside should keep spending his energies on developing the city for the 21st century and up to this excluding some superficial legislation, has done a great job. I guess, his strengths outweigh his weaknesses.
